23 September 2010

"Singapore Sling"

I am at the end of my week in Hannover, and I am a little sad to say goodbye (for now). I could honestly see myself living here one day… the open air markets that set up shop somewhere everyday, the GREAT public transportation, the exciting Innenstadt with all of its shops and cafés…. just AMAZING.
As for what I’ve been up to…

Monday

On Monday, Fabi and I explored some of the shops in the Innenstadt. It’s really kind of an eclectic mix, anything from H&M to “The Erotic Shop” to Karstadt - their equivalent of Macy’s/JC Penny/etc. (I know what you’re thinking, and no, we did not visit the Erotic Shop.)

I did, however, make a horrifying discovery while we were out.  Germans actually wear, and enjoy, the infamous “Bauchtasche” (lit. Belly Bag) a.ka. Fanny Pack!!!!! It is kind of like a horrible 1990’s nightmare to see people wearing them in public, and not as a joke or as part of some ridiculous Halloween costume. (The best part, when I pointed it out to Fabi, I was so excited! I thought I had discovered a rarity, someone who still thinks that fanny packs are cool – with the exception of bike riders, hikers, and many elderly tourists – but no, within the next half hour I saw five more just like it. At that point, I needed to go lay down, as it was all too much to handle.)

Tuesday

Zooday Tuesday! This was the day Fabi and I walked through the forest, that is located in the middle of the city of Hannover, to the zoo. On our way we saw this sculpture in the woods. (Note: No sign or anything to say what this is.) 



That’s right, you’re not seeing things, that’s a topless woman, riding sidesaddle on a half-ram/half-horse, motioning for something/someone to follow her. Oh, and there’s a dog biting the animal she’s riding. Don’t know who she is, what she did, or who she’s motioning to, but she must be in a load of trouble if she didn’t even have time to put her top on before she left!

Anyway, one may ask, “Why the hell did you go to the zoo while you were in Germany, since we have them in the U.S. – and nice ones at that?” The answer is simple. The Hannover Zoo is simply the most amazing zoo I have ever seen, quite possibly better than our National Zoo in Washington, D.C. They have anything from a boat ride through the African animal exhibits to opportunities to come so close to a lioness that you could pet her if there weren’t glass in the way (or she could maul you – perspective depends on if you’re a half full or half empty kind of person).

It was especially funny to see “Yukon Bay”, the exhibit of animals from Canada/the United States. What animals were there? Polar bears, Timberwolves, Caribou, Prairie Dogs, Trout, Penguins, and Seals. Did I fail to mention that they were blasting country music? It was, however, completely amazing. Hard to explain, but the American exhibit smelled like America to me (not like car exhaust and urine but like grilled meat and other good foods).

Last thing about the zoo is that they have an especially rare animal, Tatzi Tatz. This giant, rainbow-paw-headed thing (pictured below) is the official mascot of the Hannover Zoo. I missed my chance to get a photo with it when it showed up the first time, as I was in line, and couldn’t leave. Worried that I wouldn’t get a photo, I was much relieved to see this loveable, creepy, Spandex-clad thing waiting for me at the exit. And I got my picture! (I just had to push my way through a sea of five-year-olds to do it.)



(Note: One of the aforementioned five-year-olds is in the background!)

Wednesday

Wednesday was a good day. The night before, Fabi and I hung out with some of her friends from University, and Wednesday morning we met another for coffee and conversation while they finalized some things for their classes. Once we said Tschüß to Fabi's friend, we made our way to the Herrenhäuser Gärten, royal gardens that have been very well maintained. They were so gorgeous (photos to come on Facebook or Photobucket, or something), and I was surprised (as was Fabi) that we were not the youngest people there!

Wednesday night was so much fun. Fabi, some of her friends, and I went for hookah and cocktails. I was thrilled that I got to try German hookah. Verdict is that it's different than in America, but great nonetheless. It was especially fun, as we sat in an outside room of sorts – best I can explain it – and thusly were sort of separate from the boisterous bar crowd. It seems though that I can make an odd connection with people everywhere, as I found myself speaking with a group of men from Iraq, in German, about America and hookah there. Good Hookah. GREAT Cocktails. So much fun! Period.

Things I Have Learned List (continued from previous post):

4. Most younger Germans go nowhere without a scarf. I don’t know why, but it seems like the favored accessory of the time here. (Note: Even when it is warm, lots of people wear scarves.)
5. When the weather is nice, many of the older men wear those cargo vests, made out of canvas, with many pockets on the front, which make them look like they are all headed fishing or on a safari (or maybe to the zoo).
6. Many urinals have strainers in them. I suppose it is to keep everything from spraying back, but it makes one ponder their function the first couple times, until you realize that it's normal…
7. Germans have a LOT of Denglish words in their language (English words said with a German accent – Feel free to try these ones at home folks!). Some of my favorites: Haare Extensions, Singapore Sling, and Starbucks Hazelnut Kaffee.

I have SO much more to say, but I am exhausted, so I have to be on my way to bed! Hope you enjoy! Next time you hear from me, I'll be in Osnabrück!

Schönes Wochenende!
“Have a nice weekend!”

2 comments:

  1. Love to read this, I miss you and hope that we can video skype soon. xoxo Your mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, ich trage auch immer einen Schal, das stimmt! Wusste nicht, dass das so ungewöhnlich ist. Morgen Osnabrück, ja? Viel Spaaaaß! Uaaahh ich bin voll aufgeregt für dich, hoffe dir gefällt es da!
    Nadja

    ReplyDelete